Coffee Appreciation at Mantle & Moon | 322 Moggill Road, INDOOROOPILLY QLD 4068

Last weekend, the other travel bunnie and I had the pleasure of being invited by the Mantle Group to a coffee appreciation session at Mantle & Moon.


Working in the corporate world has made me a coffee addict.  I admit it. I rely on my daily caffeine dose to provide me with sufficient energy and concentration to power through the day. I was intrigued when I saw the invitation in the mail and I was eager to learn more about this dominant substance that has had me hooked for years.

A long time ago when I went to Europe for the first time, I did a wine appreciation in Beaujolais, located north of Lyon in France. Coffee appreciation, however, was definitely a first time for me.

The session was presented by their head roaster Jolie Beckett, who has participated as both a competitor and a judge in leading speciality coffee association events. The coffee appreciation session went for just over two and half hours. It was informative, interactive and so much fun!

We prepared our senses by tasting four different apples and understanding the different levels of sweetness and acidity.  Jolie focused on single origins and the different characteristics each region contributes to a coffee flavour before explaining to us the different coffee aromas (many of which I would never even have thought of!). We then moved on to coffee cupping, which involved us sniffing and sucking the coffee through our teeth to measure aspects of the coffee's taste, sweetness, acidity and flavour.

During the session we learnt so much about how coffee is grown, sourced, blended and roasted. I know that it may sound cliché, but at the end of the session, I really appreciated coffee a whole lot more.

The session finished with a trio of desserts plate all made using a key element – coffee. We absolutely loved it. I also had a latte made from Jolie’s blend Constellation, which has just recently won the national silver award at the Golden Bean competition. The unique blend brings together the Purosa A from the Eastern Highlands of PNG, Wahana Estate & Mandheling from Sumatra (absolutely DELICIOUS!) and the Yirgacheffe from Ethiopia.

Jolie talked about coffee with a great passion and it’s no wonder that this passion has reflected through the perfectly blended Constellation. The Mantle & Moon espresso bar is located at level 3 of the Indooroopilly Shopping Centre next to Pig ‘N’ Whistle and Phuc Deli-Viet. This crafted coffee blend will also be exclusively available from other Mantle Group’s food and beverage offerings including Jimmy’s On The Mall, Pig N Whistle and Milano.

If you’re curious and want to find out more about Mantle & Moon, they have also set a Facebook page, which is definitely worth checking out.




















Mantle & Moon on Urbanspoon

Share this:

, ,

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment