Athens, GREECE Part 1


I ordered a croissant and some fresh orange juice while I impatiently waited to board my plane from Milan bound for Athens and my eagerly awaited Greek Odyssey. It was early in the morning and I hand't seen the other travel bunnie for three days as I strolled the streets of Milan on my own.

I didn't arrange international roaming for my mobile phone before my departure and the other travel bunnie could only communicate to me via emails. Now that I think of it, it was a rather brave decision for us to meet up with each other at the arrival hall of the Athens International Airport considering that the other travel bunnie arrived on a plane which left from London and I knew zero Greek, so we could've easily missed each other at the airport.

Luckily, we found each other.

Getting to the city centre was a piece of cake. We stayed at the King George Palace which is in the heart of the Plateia Syntagmatos (Syntagma Square), so a quick ride on the metro was the most convenient option.

It was a hot Mediterranean summer's day. The sun felt big and extremely close. Syntagma Square was surprisingly quiet despite the recent austerity riot. Checking into the hotel was no problem and our room offered an amazing view of the Acropolis.

I couldn't wait another second to explore the this city and off we went.

We saw so much on our first day. No words can describe the feeling of seeing those amazing historical sights in front me. We wandered through the streets of Plaka before having an authentic Greek feast right at the foot of the Acropolis as the sun set over it. Of course, we wouldn't have survived the day without numerous iced coffee frappes.

The day ended too soon. As we tucked into the comfortable king sized bed, the protestors arrived downstairs...






























View Larger Map

Share this:

, ,

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment