Les Jardins de L'Espadon at The Ritz Paris | Paris, FRANCE

If you asked me to name three things that immediately come to mind when Paris is mentioned, my answer would be “the Eiffel Tower, Chanel and the Ritz”. I mean, clearly there’s a lot more to Paris than those three things, but a visit to the Rietz, in my opinion, is the quintessential très chic Parisian experience. Located at the iconic Place Vendôme, it has witnessed so much history and welcomed so many famous guests. People like Coco Chanel, Ernest Hemingway and F. Scott Fitzgerald considered the Ritz a second home. When theRitz reopened to the public in 2016 after an extensive makeover that kept its doors closed for nearly four years, I drooled over the press photos for days. So it was inevitable that we visited the Ritz during our recent trip to Europe. 

“Under the atrium and in the garden, the seasons blossom” is the hotel’s description for this one Michelin starred restaurant, indeed, light and airy, Les Jardins de L’Espadon seemed the perfect spot for lunch, especially during the heat of summer in Paris. Under the leadership of Chef Nicolas Sale, the menu was a much more casual than the three-starred L’Espadon, yet it did not lack sophistication. I had booked the table months in advance and it certainly paid off as we were lead to the centre table inside. The setting was utterly beautiful but in the most subtle way. A small bunch of fresh flowers adorned each table, which was dressed with crisp white linen table-cloths. 

As soon as I sat down, a stool was placed next to me. Took me a second to realise that it was for my handbag. Now that’s service, I thought to myself. Before we placed an order, the headwaiter came over and offered us lunch options for Minibun George, who was ecstatic when he heard that they had spaghetti bolognese on offer. George made light work of that entire plate of pasta, so my guess would be that the bolognese was thoroughly enjoyed. The dishes from the seasonal menu were delicious as they were beautiful. Each plate was like a piece of art created by a master painter. The steamed salmon, lettuce coulis and chanterelle mushrooms that I had was the perfect summer dish, light and wholesome. The other travel bunnie had the rack of milk-fed pork, garden peas, which was the heavier option. A golden crispy skin blanketed the meat which was tender and juicy, while the vibrant green of the peas added a pop to the palette. My favourite dish was the wild strawberries and sorbet, fennel mousse. I was initially hesitant about the fennel mousse, but the combination worked perfectly. If summer was a dish, that would be it.


The service that we received absolutely exceeded my expectations, it was impeccable and personal. At €95 for two courses, it’s definitely not the cheapest when it comes to lunch options, but nothing makes the case for old-world allure quite like the Ritz Paris and nothing says a quintessential summer’s day like a magnificent lunch at Les Jardins de L’Espadon. 




























Share this:

, , , ,

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment