Chicken Congee - Bunnie's way


Recently when I go to work every morning, I see people coughing and sniffing, it seems like flu season has made its presence and it has made no plan of leaving.

I remember when I was little, mum used to make me congee especially during winter nights, it was always so soothing.

Last night, I decided to make my own version of chicken congee. Working full-time means time is precious when it comes to cooking at night and this is when chicken stock can be of good use. If allowed, I recommend making your own master stock to cook the rice. When preparing for this chicken congee, I didn't follow any precise measurements, I just followed my heart. And this is what I did:

Ingredients:
Serves two bunnies
  • 500ml chicken stock
  • 750ml water
  • 1 cup short grain rice
  • ¼ cup sticky rice
  • 3 chicken drumsticks
  • 1 cm ginger, sliced
  • 2 spring onions, chopped, separate green and white parts
  • chinese dates
  • goji berries
  • white pepper
  • soy sauce
  • olive oil

Method:
  • add olive oil to a pot, add the white parts of springs onion to the pot when oil is heated. Stir for 1 minute
  • add chicken stock, water, rice, chicken drumsticks, ginger, chinese dates and goji berries into the same pot, bring to the boil. Lower to a simmer and cook until the rice has broken down (now the soup should have been thickened). The cooking time is dependent upon the texture that you are after. For me, I cooked the congee for 40 minutes
  • remove chicken drumsticks from the pot, shred finely. Return shredded meat to the pot
  • to serve, spoon congee into a bowl and you may add a drizzle of soy and a sprinkle the green part of spring onions and white pepper for seasoning and garnish

    The Chinese dates and goji berries are not necessary, but they contain great nutrients and I think it's a great way to add them in your diet.

My first ever congee turned out to be very delicious. It was extremely easy to make and it's great to keep your tummy warm. 






 

Share this:

, ,

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment