Kwan Brothers | 43 Alfred Street, FORTITUDE VALLEY QLD 4006

For those of you who follow me on instagram, you probably would've recently seen a photo of a beautifully made Miss Dior Promenade from the other travel bunnie. Despite my ever growing collection of bags, it is actually my first Dior bag. “The bag calls for a celebration” I said to the other travel bunnie as we walked out the boutique.

And that's how we ended up at Kwan Brothers today for lunch.

Kwan Brothers was one of those places that the other travel bunnie and I had been wanting to visit for a while, but I had always been worried that its loud music and busy crowd probably wouldn't make Kwan Brothers the most baby-friendly restaurant to take Minibun George to, especially for dinner.

We got to Kwan Brothers just as they had started their lunch service for the day and just as I expected, the restaurant was very quiet with only two open tables. The interior of this place is very funky. Think hip nightclub meets izakaya with an open kitchen, and Kpop star Psy is a guest visitor (on their wall paper). Our waitress was a lovely Asian girl who was quite informative with the menu. At her recommendation we ordered Pork Bao Bao Yippie Yo Yippie Yay ($9.90 for 2), Soft Shell Crab Bao ($12.90 for 2), Fried Chicken Wings ($14.90) and Charcoal Grilled Lamb Ribs ($15.90).

The food didn't take long at all and it all came out at around the same time. I must admit that I was quite skeptical about the food at the beginning, thinking it might be all show and no substance, but the flavoursome dishes really took me by surprise. I especially enjoyed the tenderness of the pork belly and the lamb ribs. Although the twice cooked chicken wings were nice, it was probably a take it or leave it sort of dish.

As for our happy ending, we couldn't say no to the… wait for it... Too Bao to Handle and Too Cold to Hold ($14.90). Basically, the dessert consists of three cute looking deep fried bao buns, each bun with a different flavour of ice cream in the centre. I found it extremely hard to pick a favourite out of toasted sesame, pandan and palm sugar or the ginger ice cream, but I have to say that the distinct ginger flavoured ice cream was quite memorable.

Personally, I think the prices of the dishes are slightly on the spicy side for what you get, but the food is tasty and unique. With its funky décor and awesome looking cocktail menu (although neither of us are drinkers), Kwan Brothers are pretty cool to hang out with.


Total Bunnie Dollars Spent: $76.50














Kwan Brothers on Urbanspoon

Share this:

, ,

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment