Chester Street Bakery + Bar | 32a Chester Street, NEWSTEAD QLD 4006


When Chester Street Bakery + Bar first opened, I said to the other travel bunnie that we should try it out. Weeks had gone by and we just had so much going on meaning that somehow we never had the chance to go there for the weekend brunch that I had planned.

Last week, the other travel bunnie and I had the opportunity to taste their new dinner menu. I was excited and pretty much looked forward to dinner all day at work.

As the name itself suggests, Chester Street Bakery + Bar is located on Chester Street in the inner city suburb of Newstead. In fact, if you sit outside which is lined by white picket fence, you can actually see the outline of the city buildings.

The new dinner menu is simple, easy to read and yet it provides a good spread of options. The summer bruschetta ($12.5) caught my eye and I decided to share it with the other travel bunnie as our entrée. When it came out, I was a little surprised as it wasn't the usual bruschetta I was expecting. There was no cliché diced tomato, but instead the bruschetta was layered with eggplant, feta and fresh basil, drizzled with just the right amount of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I loved the combination and needless to say the plate was wiped clean, with no trace of the entrée remaining.

The delicious entr̩e was followed by our mains, Angus Scotch Fillet with Cafe de Paris butter, grilled tomato and fries ($26.90) and Alfredo's meat ball pizza Рmeatball, pancetta & provolone, bourbon and BBQ sauce ($23.90) with a side of hand cut duck fat chips with truffle salt ($9.50). I must say that the wait for the mains took slightly longer than expected, but for a Tuesday night, the establishment was jam packed with patrons and when the mains finally arrived, I was extremely pleased both with the portion and the presentation, so we dug into the food straight away.

If you only notice one thing about this place, it's has to be the attention grabbing wood-fried pizza oven positioned in the middle of the restaurant. And that's why the other travel bunnie took the hint and ordered the pizza, which was packed with wholesome ingredients. The steak wasn't bad either, at under $30 per serve, the price tag is just as appealing as the dish it self. But the duck fat chips... OMG they were so, so tasty! I simply couldn't get enough of those!

I have to say that throughout dinner, the service was a little slow. There were only two waitstaff floating around to look after at least ten tables of guests. But the service that we received was friendly and warm. The waitstaff took time to make recommendations on the food, explain the menu and occasionally have a little chitchat here and there.

When we finished our mains, I was feeling beyond content but at the recommendation of our host, we decided to share the banoffee pie ($12.50) for dessert. After all, this establishment is known for their delicious pastries. The banoffee pie was heavenly, the sweetness of the caramel filling was well balanced with the freshly sliced banana and the pastry base was perfectly baked. I would love to have had more, but my stomach won the battle against my conscious on the night.

I was really impressed with their new dinner menu. As I mentioned, it provides a good variety from pizza to salads, or more substantial dishes such as slow roasted lamb shoulder ($26.90) as well as appealing starters and snacks to share (or not).

Disclaimer: the bunnies were guests of Chester Street Bakery + Bar.















Chester Street on Urbanspoon

Share this:

, , , , ,

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment