La Lune Wine Co. | Brisbane, AUSTRALIA

Fly me to the moon, let me play among the stars… Frank Sinatra’s tunes came to mind as I walked down Fish Lane where La Lune Wine Co. is located. Understated sophistication with a hint of mystery - I had only seen the place for seconds and I was already intrigued. It’s an intimate space complete with dark wood, shiny white wall tiles,  sheer curtains, and let’s not forget, bottles of wines. 

I was there to enjoy a 5-course tasting menu offered here on Sundays. Available to the whole table only at $50 per person (and for an additional $40 if you want a wine pairing), I was slightly surprised at the friendly price point. Because you see, although it might be a wine bar, food is by no means something that gets neglected here. If anything, the food here might be some of the best you’ve tasted in a while. 

Lunch started with wagyu carpaccio, tamarind & kaffir lime, tapioca puff - the delicateness of the finely sliced beef contrasted well against the crispiness of the puff, and with a kick from the chilli, my mouth watered. I was ready for more.  After devouring a beautifully presented crudo of bonito, witlof, soy, grape and chilli followed, I was presented with a vegetarian dish - zucchini, chickpea, green raisins, miso caramel. When I go out for food, I wouldn’t usually order a vegetarian dish because of my immense love of meat, so I wasn’t sure about it when the chef came out to explain the dish, but the taste of it took me by surprise and I loved every mouthful of the dish. I WANTED the recipe. Wagyu teres, kipfler, cabbage, chive labne came next. Teres, aka petite tender, is cut from the shoulder and is one of the most tender muscles in cow’s body, the chef went on explaining to us. I couldn’t wait to sink my teeth into the meat, which was indeed incredibly soft with a robust flavour.  Just as I thought that lunch couldn’t get any better, out came the dessert - Szechuan apple, coconut chantilly, miso honeycomb, passionfruit. I know what you’re thinking because I was thinking the same thing, Szechuan apple? Don’t knock it until you try it. Unlike the more traditional poached apple where you get a huge hit of cinnamon, these apple pieces were sweet with just enough Szechuan peppercorn infused to make your tongue tingle. My foodie companion and I couldn’t stop talking about the dish. It was that good! 

You know that’s the thing about the menu at La Lune, you read it and you might crinkle your nose thinking, what an odd combo? But they all work, and they work damn well. This tasting menu was thoroughly enjoyed, all whilst watching the chefs showcasing their skills in the open kitchen. 

La Lune, I love you to the moon and back. 


Disclaimer: with thanks to La Lune Wine Co. for welcoming DolceBunnie to the property as an invited guest, please note that my opinion is as always, my own.



















La Lune Wine Co Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Share this:

, ,

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment