The Buffalo Bar | 169 Mary Street, BRISBANE CBD QLD 4000

So what do you get when the team from Mighty Mighty - Cue & Brew in Fortitude Valley take over the site of the old Belgium Beer CafĂ© in Brisbane…. An American food Bonanza!

The other travel bunnie and I recently had a hankering from some hardcore American Chow and given the bunnie pad is only a stone-throw away from the Buffalo Bar we decided to do it.

Getting a reservation was difficult as the initial interest in this new American eatery is still extremely high (and don’t forget that it is the silly season) so we had to make do with a time slot of 5:30 – 7:00pm.

The interior for those of you who hadn’t previously been to the Belgium Beer CafĂ© is warm, simple and homely (which is very much in line with the heritage building it is situated in). The staff however were as energetic as you would expect from a newly opened food venture.

We got down to business quickly and as I was having flashbacks to our time in the USA, I was immediately drawn to the LARGE selection of Buffalo Wings.  After much debate (with myself) I went for eight pieces of the Salted Cola Toffee wings ($12 *no longer available*) (with all wings coming with a side of celery and the I-Cant-get-enough-so-I-asked-for-more Blue Cheese & Buttermilk Dipping Sauce).  Now I like to think that I am a bit of a wing connoisseur given that the other travel bunnie has assured me that after making a batch of home make spiced, crispy wings once a fortnight I have perfected the art (his words not mine) so when I say that the wings I ate here were finger-licking good you can take my word for it. I also had some Monterey Jack Corn Bread -Smoked Dripping Butter ($3.5) before I hoed into my wings but I must say that while it was good it could have done with a little more zing in the dipping butter.  The other travel bunnie elected to start with Jalapeno Poppers - Blue Cheese and Buttermilk Dipping Sauce ($9) and he loved the flavours but was again hoping for a little more spice (but you can guess where his dipping sauce went).  His main, which was hands down the dish of the night, was Crispy Fried Duck and Waffles - Cold Smoked, Crispy Fried Duck, House Made Waffles, Sour Blueberry Compote, Maple Hollandaise ($34) and it was amazing. That’s it. Nothing more to say. AMAZING. The duck was perfectly smoked the point where the each shred of its flesh gave off a tantalising aroma as it passed my (well of course we shared) lips. Then, the crispy skin just took the dish the extra step to balance its textures.  The waffles also served their purposes which was clearly to up the buttery Hollandaise sauce that the duck was swimming in.

So there you have it. Hearty, heavy, sticky American goodness in the heart of the CBD. And to top it off, a huge selection of American Craft Beers with the other travel bunnie assures me also assist in washing down all the food.

Total Bunnie Dollars Spent: $71.50













Buffalo Bar on Urbanspoon

Share this:

, , ,

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment