Baguette Bistrot+Bar | 150 Racecourse Road, ASCOT QLD 4007

I had my last French class on Saturday before uni break starts and we decided to make Friday a themed night (a French themed night). Of course, dinner was at no other than the long established Baguette Bistrot + Bar in Ascot.

Baguette has been opened for more than three decades, if anything, that alone says something about the caliber of the restaurant. The restaurant is currently doing a French regional Prix Fixe menu but we decided to opted for two main dishes that were only available from the à la carte menu – spiced duck breast, pommes anna, thyme confit carrots, sauté kale and a l'orange jus ($41.80) and Tasmanian lamb rack on confit garlic pommes puree, buttered green bean and slow roasted vine tomatoes, finished with port jus ($41.90). For whatever reason, I wasn't expecting food that would wow my senses, I didn't fancy of the restaurant's décor and I thought that somehow affected my expectations.

I was wrong. The food was good. Nothing over the top or sensational, but it was homely and comforting. Both meats were tender and I was left craving for more.

I've heard good things about Baguette's desserts, well, one in particular, their oeufs à la neige – floating islands with passionfruit anglaise ($13.80). I proceeded to order it without any hesitation. The other travel bunnie had the tarte tain of pear, salted caramel and tosted almond with vanilla ice cream ($13.80). Both desserts were scrumptious. The “floating islands” melted in my mouth on one touch with my tongue. I found it difficult to pick a favourite out of the two, so the other travel bunnie allowed me to finish off his dessert as well. Such a good hubby he is.

Baguette is not a fancy French restaurant but it provides good comfort food.

Total Bunnie Dollars Spent: $124.50.

PS. as the other travel bunnie was reading this post, he asked 'what else did we do that was Frenchie?” I turned and cheekily said “we had French fries for lunch and ended our night with a French kiss”... 















Baguette Bistrot+Bar on Urbanspoon

Share this:

, , , ,

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment